In honor of a generous bequest from Robert H. Taylor of Princeton’s Class of 1930, Princeton University’s librarian will now be known as the Robert H. Taylor 1930 University Librarian. The post is currently held by Anne Jarvis, who came to Princeton from the University of Cambridge in 2016. The gift will also support and expand the library’s Special Collections and establish a new position: Curator of the Robert H. Taylor Collection at Firestone Library.
Since it opened in 1948, Firestone Library has played a central role in the lives of undergraduates, graduate students, faculty members, and visiting scholars. Now, a major renovation is infusing Firestone Library with new life. With the support of alumni and friends, the University is creating a more open and welcoming building that supports contemporary approaches to scholarship while honoring Firestone’s historic character.
As an ambitious 17-year-old college freshman, Lawrence Otis Graham ’83 set his sights on getting published. He tried pitching two magazines a story on surviving the college admissions interview; both turned him down. Intent on his goal, he headed to Firestone Library to consult nonfiction books on educational issues written for young people.
Musician, musicologist, bibliophile, and philanthropist William H. Scheide, a 1936 Princeton University alumnus who died in November at age 100, has left his extraordinary collection of some 2,500 rare printed books and manuscripts to Princeton University. With an expected appraised value of nearly $300 million, it is the largest gift in the University’s history.
From sumptuous illuminated manuscripts of the Persian epic Shahnamah to the papers of Thomas Jefferson, Firestone Library’s magnificent collections draw scholars to Princeton from around the world.
When Thomas Paine wrote Common Sense in 1776 he no doubt hoped his words would endure, but he might be surprised by how they are being preserved. Historians and history enthusiasts can now read one of his pamphlets on a computer screen in its original format, digitally flipping its 50 pages.
Henry R. Martin ’48, who spent more than 50 years creating drawings for The New Yorker and other magazines, has donated nearly 700 original drawings and a selection of humorous books he wrote and/or illustrated to the University Library.
On November 20, the University celebrated the official dedication of its new state-of-the-art Peter B. Lewis Library, designed for research and teaching in the electronic age.