The James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professorships were established in memory of James S. McDonnell ’21 H60 by gifts from the James S. McDonnell Foundation, of which his sons, James S. McDonnell III ’58 and John F. McDonnell ’60 *62, are board members.
When Charles H. Smyth came to Princeton to teach geology in 1905, he brought his two sons with him: Charlie and Harry. Both boys grew up to attend Princeton and follow in their father’s footsteps as Princeton faculty members and both are now commemorated with endowed chairs: the Charles Phelps Smyth ’16 *17 Professorship in Chemistry and the Henry De Wolf Smyth Professorship.
Boosted by major gifts from two great friends of Princeton, funds realized by the University during the Aspire campaign from trusts and estates passed the $100 million mark the summer of 2009.
A $25 million gift from former University Trustee Eric Schmidt ’76 and his wife, Wendy, has created an innovative fund that will power cutting-edge research and technology in the natural sciences and engineering.
The 2008-09 Annual Giving campaign raised $44,597,633—the third highest total in Princeton's history—with 57.7 percent of undergraduate alumni participating.
The Aspire campaign has provided Princeton with a number of new endowed chairs, which will help the University continue to maintain a world-class faculty in a range of disciplines.
An enterprise as varied and far-reaching as the University requires support from many quarters, in ways both large and small. Princeton’s loyal alumni continue to meet this need with generosity and creativity.
The beauty of the Princeton campus is legendary, thanks in part to the many walkways, benches, and sculptures that dot the carefully tended landscape. Many of these distinctive elements were made possible by the generosity of thoughtful donors who wanted to make a mark on the campus they love.
Members of Princeton's class of 1967 are honoring the spirit and loyalty of their class by giving the University a new dormitory: the Class of 1967 Hall in Butler College.