A needle peeks through the thick fabric as trim is sewn onto a costume. A tap shoe clicks its energetic, syncopated rhythm on the stage floor. A soprano's voice wends its way through the air with heartbreaking melody. Bodies leap and bound, then gently connect and dissipate. And anyone in the rehearsal room can ask, "What if? …"
The University community welcomed this year's cohort of Bridge Year volunteers--incoming students who have deferred their freshman year to engage in public service projects abroad. Princeton faculty, staff, alumni benefactors, and former Bridge Year participants wished these new Princetonians well as they prepared to embark on their journeys.
Princeton’s commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions and conserving resources is more than academic; over the last year the University has continued to create a campus climate that promotes sustainable practices—striving to make green initiatives as natural as wearing orange and black.
Shortly after arriving in La Paz, Bolivia, Deirdre Ricuarte ’16 found herself in a pediatric oncology department. She and her fellow interns were charged with talking to the patients and their parents to learn about their conditions and treatments. Most of the children were too tired to interact. But one five-year-old boy, Christian, craved her attention.
In a wood-paneled room in Princeton University's historic East Pyne building, 15 students sit among a circle of desks debating a question: Who was a more effective leader, Martin Luther King Jr. or Malcolm X?
"In terms of effectiveness, I'd say one is not better than the other because they both served the purpose of a practical movement," said Bessie Bauman of Olathe, Kansas.
It was the final day of the 1965–66 Annual Giving campaign and Winthrop Short ’41 was on the phone with Princeton to see where his class stood. As the leader of the Class of 1941’s effort heading into its 25th Reunion, Short was trying to rally his classmates to a new all-time high for any Princeton class—$200,000.
In 1983 the University was notified that Stephen Hobart Condit of Parsippany-Troy Hills had left some 50 acres of New Jersey real estate, including his historic home, in an unrestricted bequest to Princeton. Condit, a Lehigh University graduate, had contributed to Annual Giving in years past in memory of two alumni he believed were related to him, Professor Kenneth H. Condit '1913, who served as the dean of the School of Engineering during World War II, and Benjamin Smith Condit '1880. But this gift--which eventually amounted to more than $1 million when the property was sold--seemed out of the blue.
Before visitors step inside Princeton’s world-class art museum, they are greeted by a monumental glass and steel sculpture, a creative bridge from the campus’s arboretum-like setting to the visual treasures inside. Noted artists Doug and Mike Starn, twin brothers whose work has been exhibited at New York City’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Macro Museum in Rome, and the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, among other public and private collections, designed (Any) Body Oddly Propped especially for the museum’s front lawn. The commissioned work features eighteen-foot-tall panels of color made in a new glass-dyeing technique pioneered in Germany.
The contemporary landmark was made possible in part by the generosity of painter and conservationist Shelly Belfer Malkin ’86 and Anthony E. Malkin.
For more than 100 years Princeton’s Graduate School has attracted the world’s most promising young scholars. They work in labs, in libraries, in the field, and in classrooms, infusing the campus with fresh ideas and helping to drive discovery. These graduate students collaborate with the University’s faculty members, produce original scholarship, and teach and mentor undergraduates, in preparation for leadership roles in academia, industry, and government.
Alan Lukens ’46’s college years were interrupted by World War II. Part of the US Army’s 20th Armored Division, he was 21 years old in April 1945 when his unit and other American soldiers broke through barbed wire surrounding Germany’s Dachau concentration camp to find emaciated prisoners shouting in relief.